Celebrity Photos Fashion

Friday, September 19, 2008

Naomi, Serena and Michelle

If I could get all these women in the same room plus Gina Torres, Venus Williams, Vanessa Williams and Aisha Tyler I would totally die from "shero" overload. Here are some of the latest pictures of three of my favorite internationally known sistas. Takin' the world by storm one glamorous catwalk, tennis court and podium at a time.

I am not ashamed to say that I love Naomi Campbell even though she's obviously bipolar and has/had a bit of a drug problem. I realize she is a cell phone assassin, the Nokia Ninja, creator of the Blackberry Beatdown technique. But for some reason the fact that she got in a fight with London cops at Heathrow over airplane staff being "racist" to a gorgeous, wealthy black supermodel endears her to me more. It was crazy, but all I could do was applaud. Apparently the fashion world agrees.

Most models Naomi's age have retired, but she's still in demand and fly as ever. When you're that beautiful almost everything is forgivable. Almost.

These pictures are from the ISSA fashion show during London's Fashion Week.

Naomi Campbell used a cell phone and no one caught one to the head. That's a good day in Naomi's world.

Ridiculous. That's her being fierce at 38, folks. Thirty-eight and one of the few women from the era of the supermodel in the 1990s who's still stomping down the catwalk. To quote RuPaul, "You better work!"

Who's that girl? Any fashionista readers know who this model is? She was almost as fierce as Naomi.

Naomi and mystery black girl model take the final walk with designer Daniella Issa Helayel.

US Open champion Serena Williams made an appearance Thursday at an event honoring the 60th anniversary of Israel's independence. I don't know how I feel about the dress. On one hand, I kind of love it because it has this throw back appeal, a mix of the 1920s and 30s for inspiration with the black lace and umpire waist. But then on the other hand, it sort of makes her look a little boxy. That, and I think her hairdo is a tad too matronly. She's a young fashionable thing. I would have liked to see something a little more dramatic, but I suppose it's conservative hair to go with the semi-conservative umpire mini dress.

And now for my favorite, incredible, unstoppable black woman, la femme Obama, Michelle O.

Another lovely sweater set and long, draping pearls. She looks positively enchanting at this Women for Obama gathering in Greensboro, NC. The hair is still looking flawless and ... oddly, she still doesn't look very angry. No chants of "kill whitey" or anything remotely similar to that. And I just have to mention, what black person actually uses the word "whitey?" Outside of George Jefferson, I've never heard it used. The only term I've ever heard to describe white people was "peckerwood," which is pretty popular with black Arkansans of a certain age. Otherwise, no matter how mad most black folks were/are I've largely just heard a generalized complaint about "white folk." Nothing fancy.

There are other pejoratives I know of, but "whitey" is not among them. Very lame rumor, people. Do some research before you make up a malicious lie. Like, ask a black person. You know? If you, like, actually know one.

That said. Michelle stays fly.

Change we need, indeed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Celebrity Photos Fashion