Celebrity Photos Fashion

Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Barack Obama Variety Half-Hour

The skit was sort of funny, but lacked a lot of edge. To bring Maya Rudolph back to play Michelle Obama, but to just have her do what they typically would have her do (sing something silly) seemed lazy. They basically didn't bother to find something humorous about Michelle or her personality or the chemistry between her and Barack. Michelle does have a personality after all, but the writers seemed to sidestep that all together. (Out of fear maybe? Lack of creativity?) I did enjoy the House Democrats singing "Our House" and Kennan Thompson as Rev. Jeremiah Wright singing, "White devil be crazy." The term "white devil" is really more of a Nation of Islam thing, but I'll let that one slide.

But there was an over all lack of bite. I really don't think the Dems are that bland where they couldn't find something to skewer. They have an easy time embracing the slickness that is Slick Willy, but Bill Clinton, like George W. Bush, is pretty easy to lampoon. Both of their flaws are so close to the surface. Michelle and Barack aren't obvious foils, but ... really ... I could have written something better. I don't know why they just don't go full bore into the sometimes over-seriousness and self-importance of the campaign. I very much enjoyed The Daily Show's spoof of Obama's bio video at the DNC entilted, "Barack Obama: He Completes Us." When the "Circle of Life" started playing from "The Lion King" I fell out of my chair laughing.

But that's The Daily Show.

That said ... this last clip, for me, was the funniest thing on the show Saturday night. I totally went to college with that stereotype: the white quasi-Rastafarian, stoner, hackysack kid with the filthy white boy dreadlocks. That guy ... very easy to make fun of, indeed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Celebrity Photos Fashion