Celebrity Photos Fashion

Monday, December 8, 2008

Barack Totally to Quit Smoking, For Realz This Time

I'm not a smoker and I think smoking is horribly unhealthy, but as someone who lived in California where smokers are persecuted and treated like leapers -- dude, can folks lighten up a little? It's not like he's dropping acid. But for your perusal, further evidence of our Puritanical nature about everything in America. Blame the Calvinists!

From Reuters and Meet The Press this Sunday:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. Barack Obama failed to give a straight answer when asked on a U.S. talkshow on Sunday whether he had managed to quit smoking.

In a country where cigarettes are responsible for one in five deaths and smoking costs tens of billions of dollars in health care, Obama has been under pressure to set an example by giving up his reported two-decade-old habit.

Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" program, interviewer Tom Brokaw told Obama he had ducked answering the question during an interview last month with ABC's Barbara Walters.

Noting that the White House was a no-smoking zone, Brokaw asked Obama, "Have you stopped smoking?"

"I have," Obama replied, smiling broadly. "What I said was that there are times where I have fallen off the wagon."

"Wait a minute," Brokaw interjected, "that means you haven't stopped."

"Fair enough," Obama said. "What I would say is that I have done a terrific job under the circumstances of making myself much healthier. You will not see any violations of the rules in the White House."

So, while I'd like the president-elect to kick the habit I'm not going to stalk the man, throwing packages of Nicorette at him.

Disclosure: Granny Snob starting smoking in her 20s, is a cancer and stroke survivor and STILL will not stop smoking and she will tell you where you can go and what you can do to yourself if you tell her she should stop. I love my Granny Snob, but I'm also kind of scared of her. She uses curse words so creatively. If you could murder someone with your mouth she would be a serial killer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Celebrity Photos Fashion